I’m still asked about how to create treasure chests, so I’m planning on bringing the Complete Chest Tutorial up-to-date, tailoring for RMXP and RMVX.
Regular visitors will already know about the RM2K3 tutorial I did, and it’s easy enough to customize for RMXP/VX, but I’d like to expand upon it. I have a few ideas already, especially for more dynamic and randomized contents via scripting rather than pure eventing.
This is what I’ve covered so far:
- Chapter 1: Basic Chests
- Chapter 2: Locked Chests
- Chapter 3: Random Contents
- Chapter 4a: Combination Locks (Basic)
- Chapter 4b: Combination Locks (Advanced)
- Chapter 5: Trapped Chests
- Chapter 6: Picking Locks
- Chapter 7: Monster-In-A-Box
- Chapter 8: Items by Level (Hero Level)
- Extra Chapter 1: Front Opening
These are some ideas I’ve planned (some have been requested), so if you’d like to add to the list, feel free to leave your ideas in the comments and I’ll go from there.
- Trap Disarm Skill – Used in combination with Chapter 5
- Lockpicking Skill – Used in combination with Chapter 6
- Monster-In-A-Box based on level – Used in combination with Chapter 7
- Treasure based on terrain/map ID – Omitted previously
- Dynamic Randomized Content – Event/script based
- Treasure Trail – Find the clues in order, then go to the location for the next clue, right up until you find the treasure (more like a mini game than a tutorial)
- Disappearing Chests – The chests disappear after being opened (with some animation)
- Monster Kill Chests – Chests only appear after a certain number of monsters are killed