The simplest and easiest method to change your game’s icon in RPG Maker is to use software such as Resource Hacker.
However, for those worried about the legalities of doing so, here are two alternative methods that don’t directly modify any files.
Method 1 – Shortcut
- Right-click on the Game.exe in your projects folder.
- Click Create Shortcut.
- Right-click on the newly created shortcut and click Properties.
- In the Shortcut tab, click Change Icon.
- You can then browse to the icon file you created for your game. (This is a 32×32 PNG saved as an ICO file.)
- Once confirmed, you can copy and paste the shortcut to your Desktop (along with its changed icon) for easier access.
- The shortcut can then be included in a ZIP file and after extracting the files and installing the game, you can encourage players to use the pre-made shortcut.
Method 2 – Installer Extract
With some compression tools, such as 7-Zip, you can create an SFX archive to install directly from a setup file, including creating a shortcut with the changed icon.
(I might address this in a future tutorial.)